Doubletree Hotel Boise ~ Riverside - "Quality, Sustainable Lodging."
At Doubletree, we're bringing environmental awareness and education to every aspect of the way we do business. We believe our focus on providing quality hospitality to worldwide travelers includes considering our environmental impact and doing our part to ensure both a green property and a quality guest experience.
2900 Chinden Boulevard
Boise, ID 83714
GREEN PASS PROGRAM
Call or present your Green Pass to receive a 20% Meeting Room Discount & a Complimentary Cookie Break.
Doubletree Hotel Boise ~ Riverside Green Goals
We have already reduced our energy use by an average of 50,000 kWh per month.
Energy-efficient lighting conversion, including replacing incandescent lamps and non-energy efficient ballasts will be completed by 12/31/2013. We have already replaced many of our 10,000+ light bulbs with energy-efficient bulbs. We are in the process of converting T12 ballasts to T8, magnetic ballasts.
In congruence with Green Seal’s Standards for Lodging Properties (GS-33), our Environmental Purchasing Policy states that we only buy EnergyStar®, energy-efficient equipment when it is replaced, including Office and Room equipment, HVAC, Kitchen Equipment, and Laundry Equipment.
We have implemented a rigorous preventative maintenance schedule to ensure that equipment is operating at its most efficient, reducing energy use and cost.
We have begun replacing windows with energy-saving windows as needed. For windows that have not been replaced, transparent plastic film or metallic laminate will be installed by 12/31/2015.
We are installing programmable timers and sensors that automatically switch off lights or equipment after a period of non-use in low traffic and low occupancy areas. We have already installed devices in the outdoor parking lot and main sign (photoelectric cell), exterior wall lighting, motion sensors in the hallway behind lower meeting rooms including the Northstar storage room, and linen closets 401, 430, and 444. The remaining linen closets, purchasing storage areas, mechanical rooms, and closets will be converts as funds allow but no later than 12/31/2010.
To reduce the amount of water used, the Hotel has included guidelines for purchasing water fixtures in its environmental purchasing policy, which are:
• Faucets will be 2.2 gallons per minute
• Aerators will be 1.5 gallons per minute
• Toilets will be 1.6 gallons per flush
• Toilet fill cycle diverters will be purchased
• Showerheads will be 2.5 gallons per minute
These devices will be purchased and installed by no later than 12/31/2010.
To reduce the amount of water used for exterior landscaping, plants and trees on the Property are tolerant of the local climate and similar to natural water availability. Watering occurs at night to minimize evaporation. Plant beds are mulched to ensure as much water retention as possible. Grass requiring irrigation is limited to areas where guest activities take place.
Regular maintenance of sidewalks and driveways is done by sweeping or using blowers. Staff refrains from using water to wash exterior areas down whenever possible. Water is used only for cleaning stains that could not be swept.
To reduce the amount of water, chemicals and energy used in laundry facilities on the Property, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside to provide guests staying multiple nights with an option to reuse towels and linens.
To reduce water use in kitchen and laundry operations, it is the policy of the Doubletree Hotel Boise Riverside to fill ware washing equipment, laundry washers, and dryers to maximum capacity, and to operate laundry machines at the lowest effective temperatures.
The use of chlorinated chemicals will be eliminated throughout the hotel, where it is possible, and replaced with a suitable, non-chlorinated alternative. If a suitable alternative cannot be found, only the smallest amount of the chlorinated chemical product will be purchased and used.
To encourage environmentally preferable products, and reduce chlorine and NTA in the wastewater system, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside to use automatic ware washing detergents that are biodegradable and do not contain NTA (nitrilotriacetic acid) or chlorine bleach.
To reduce phosphates and other toxins in our water supply, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside to use non-phosphate, nontoxic, biodegradable, concentrated liquid or powder laundry detergents.
To reduce the environmental impact of chemicals used on the Property, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside to use non-phosphate, nontoxic, biodegradable, concentrated liquid or powder cleaning products.
Future Goals include:
1. Continued tracking of water use with the Hilton Environmental Analysis & Tracking (H.E.A.T.) Program
2. Completion of the installation of water-efficient fixtures throughout the Property
3. Continuing to research new, more environmentally friendly chemical products
Waste Management Goals:
To reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill that could otherwise be recycled or reused, the Doubletree Riverside has adopted a recycling program, and monitors monthly waste figures using the H.E.A.T Program.
To reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside to use minimally-sized amenities that are minimally packaged with recycled and/or recyclable materials, and to donate unused amenities to a local charity organization.
To reduce the amount of paper waste sent to the landfill that can otherwise be recycled or reused within the organization, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside to use the double-sided printing and copying options, and to reuse paper printed on a single side for note-taking.
It is the policy the Doubletree Hotel Boise Riverside to reduce the amount of packaging and energy for transport of purchased goods and eliminate the use of aerosol products where possible. As part of its sustainability program the Property:
• Purchases cleaning supplies in bulk whenever possible
• Uses portion control equipment to ensure correct dilution of cleaning products
• Avoids the use of single-use type products, whenever possible
• Avoids the use of aerosol cans when possible and properly disposes of aerosol cans
To reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside, to minimize the use of disposable food service items on the Property.
To reduce the amount of virgin material used in paper products and to encourage the use of post-consumer materials, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside to purchase printing and writing paper which contains a minimum amount of post-consumer waste.
• Printing and writing paper, including letterhead, stationary, copy paper, envelopes, invoices, business forms, etc., must contain a minimum of 30% post-consumer materials or “tree-free” fiber content.
• Materials printed on coated paper must contain a minimum of 10% post-consumer paper or “tree-free” fiber content.
• Toilet tissue contains 20% post-consumer material content
• Facial tissue contains 10% post-consumer material content
• Paper towels contain 40% post-consumer material content
• Napkins contain 40% post-consumer material content
To reduce the amount of waste created by furniture and other large, durable goods, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside to purchase durable goods of sufficient quality to allow reuse, refinishing and/or reupholstering.
To reduce the amount of waste from packaging and shipping materials, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside to primarily use product suppliers that use recyclable or reusable packaging and shipping materials and/or who will take back any unrecyclable or unusable packaging and shipping materials.
Future Goals Include:
1. Continuing to track waste generated by the property on a monthly basis through the H.E.A.T. Program
2. Refining adjusting our recycling program
3. Continuing to evaluate local product suppliers for environmental practices and waste reduction techniques
It is the policy the Doubletree Hotel Boise Riverside, to reduce the amount of packaging and energy for transport of purchased goods, to purchase cleaning supplies and other products in bulk whenever possible.
1. Continue to incorporate environmental preferences into purchasing documents and discussions with suppliers and vendors
2. Consider new programs to encourage employees and guests to use energy-saving transportation methods.
Social Responsibility Goals:
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY GOALS: To fulfill the goal of achieving sustainability through environmentally friendly practices, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside, as part of its sustainability program to:
1. Appoint and maintain a committee responsible for overseeing the Doubletree Hotel Boise Riverside's sustainability program;
2. Establish an environmental mission and distinct purchasing targets;
3. Incorporate environmental preferences into purchasing documents and discussions with suppliers and vendors;
4. Consider life-cycle costs of buying environmentally responsible products and services;
5. Purchase and testing of potential environmentally responsible products and services;
6. regular evaluation and modification, if necessary, of the Environmental Purchasing Policy;
7. Make Doubletree Riverside’s environmentally policy available to the public.
To promote environmentally responsible service providers, it is the policy of the DoubleTree Hotel Boise Riverside to use environmentally responsible service providers when available.
Future Goals Include:
1. Continuing to purchase and test new environmentally responsible products and services
2. Adopting programs to encourage employees and guests to choose environmentally friendly options. Some programs we are considering are:
a. An Employee Bus Pass Program
b. Environmentally friendly guest transportation services